Tango vs Phobos

Brad Roberts braddr at bellevue.puremagic.com
Wed Aug 13 18:31:23 PDT 2008

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, Walter Bright wrote:

> Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:32:32 -0700
> From: Walter Bright <newshound1 at digitalmars.com>
> To: digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
> Newsgroups: digitalmars.D
> Subject: Re: Tango vs Phobos
>
> Sean Kelly wrote:
> > Unfortunately, for this to be resolved it requires cooperation from both
> > sides.  It takes two to Tango, as they say (sorry, bad joke).
>
> For my part, I have explicitly allowed the Tango team to look at, use and
> incorporate any part of Phobos into Tango without prejudice and release it
> under the Tango license (excluding stuff that I didn't write that has its own
> copyright license terms). A lot of the new stuff, such as the array op code
> are even in the public domain to make it super easy.
>
> In order for Phobos to move towards compatibility, I need a reciprocal
> statement from the Tango team. The Tango license does not allow this, and I
> try to be very careful in making sure Phobos is clean from a legal standpoint.
>
> Sean and Don have been most generous in offering such, but the rest of the
> Tango team have not been willing to, and they have every right to not do so,
> but it does stand in the way of cooperation.
>
> P.S. The reason for the relicense when code is transferred is to avoid the
> untenable situation of one module in the library having different licenses for
> different sections of code.

Additionally, Sean has had commit access to phobos for well over a year.
As far as I can recall, there's been no submits.  I did a good bit of
unification of the thread model at one point (though far from complete),
and was accused of stealing code from Tango (no, I'm not going to try to
dig up exact quotes).  It left a rather sour taste in my mouth at which
point my enthusiasm was somewhat diminished.  I let the license issue
further stall any effort on my part.

I hate airing dirty laundry, so I hope this to be my one and only post on
the topic.

Sigh,
Brad