Tango vs Phobos

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Thu Aug 14 01:17:10 PDT 2008

Brad Roberts wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:32:32 -0700
>> From: Walter Bright <newshound1 at digitalmars.com>
>> To: digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
>> Newsgroups: digitalmars.D
>> Subject: Re: Tango vs Phobos
>>
>> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> > Unfortunately, for this to be resolved it requires cooperation from
>> > both
>> > sides.  It takes two to Tango, as they say (sorry, bad joke).
>>
>> For my part, I have explicitly allowed the Tango team to look at, use and
>> incorporate any part of Phobos into Tango without prejudice and release
>> it under the Tango license (excluding stuff that I didn't write that has
>> its own copyright license terms). A lot of the new stuff, such as the
>> array op code are even in the public domain to make it super easy.
>>
>> In order for Phobos to move towards compatibility, I need a reciprocal
>> statement from the Tango team. The Tango license does not allow this, and
>> I try to be very careful in making sure Phobos is clean from a legal
>> standpoint.
>>
>> Sean and Don have been most generous in offering such, but the rest of
>> the Tango team have not been willing to, and they have every right to not
>> do so, but it does stand in the way of cooperation.
>>
>> P.S. The reason for the relicense when code is transferred is to avoid
>> the untenable situation of one module in the library having different
>> licenses for different sections of code.
>
> Additionally, Sean has had commit access to phobos for well over a year.
> As far as I can recall, there's been no submits.  I did a good bit of
> unification of the thread model at one point (though far from complete),
> and was accused of stealing code from Tango (no, I'm not going to try to
> dig up exact quotes).  It left a rather sour taste in my mouth at which
> point my enthusiasm was somewhat diminished.  I let the license issue
> further stall any effort on my part.
>
> I hate airing dirty laundry, so I hope this to be my one and only post on
> the topic.

To be fair, there was anger at the approach chosen on your side when
starting with this work, and too strong words may have been used, and if I
was guilty, I am sorry for that. As it was, we didn't in any way feel that
what happened in any way reflected what we talked to Walter about at the
conference.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net