The Death of D. (Was Tango vs Phobos)

Helmut Leitner leitner at wikiservice.at
Thu Aug 14 03:00:16 PDT 2008

Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>>I have explained this to the main Tango developers on multiple
>>occasions. It is their right and privilege to license Tango as they see
>>fit, and I respect that and so have not spoken out on it before. But in
>>this thread I am being cast as a roadblock, which I feel is a little
>>unfair, so I will loosen my tongue and speak up a bit :-)
>

> And we have on equally many occasions told you that the code you need is
> available. :)

As a peripheral observer I see this partly as a communication problem,
which does not put blame on one side or the other (have neither the
intention nor the information nor the position to do so) but this
doesn't make the problem less serious, quite to the contrary.

Primarily I understand Walter. In his position I would really
hate to be confronted with individual code contributor's notions,
so that the license problem can't be solved for all the affected
code and once for all, with a calculable (not a linear) effort.

Assuming to understand Walter's character a little, I would think that
there are principles of efficiency involved, that are also at the basis
of D'S language design that we appreciate, that are not negotiable.

Helmut