The Death of D. (Was Tango vs Phobos)

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 08:35:59 PDT 2008

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:

> Slightly OT, and directed at this whole situation: I just sit back and
> laugh.  *This* is open-source software?  *This* is the supposed "freedom"
> and "openness" that the whole movement is about?  People bickering for a
> _year_ over minutiae of licenses which are supposed to promote free use?
>
> What have we accomplished?

Someone once told me that the place with the most politics is academia.
the professors have so little decision power that they argue (intensely)
about the smallest and stupidest of things.
I guess you can say the same thing here: all the code is "open" and
therefore everyone argues about the smallest details left to argue about
like  who's name is written on the copyright (and in what order) and
stuff like that. besides, how can a person steal free code?!

the problem with OSS is that it's free. if it where closed than it would
be a matter of the amount of money which can be negotiated and agree upon.
OSS is free therefore the only thing that matters is one's pride and
that cannot be negotiated.

In this Specific case:
Walter needs his name on all the Phobos code and he stated his valid
reasons for it. Tango developers want their names on the Tango code and
rightly so, since they wrote it. in case of a merger of those two code
bases you get one joint code base but *two* teams that want their name
on the code. someone has to be first.

all I can say is that I hope this gets resolved soon for the benefit of
everyone here.