The Death of D. (Was Tango vs Phobos)

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 14 08:50:20 PDT 2008

"Walter Bright" wrote
> Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>> I have explained this to the main Tango developers on multiple
>>> occasions. It is their right and privilege to license Tango as they see
>>> fit, and I respect that and so have not spoken out on it before. But in
>>> this thread I am being cast as a roadblock, which I feel is a little
>>> unfair, so I will loosen my tongue and speak up a bit :-)
>>
>> And we have on equally many occasions told you that the code you need is
>> available. :)
>
> I respectfully disagree. The Tango team has stopped short of providing a
> license to use the Tango code in Phobos with a reciprocal agreement that
> allows it to be distributed under the Phobos license. I also cannot accept
> something vague, it has to be explicit.
>
> I've dealt with lawyers many times, and spelling it out directly and
> explicitly avoids a lot of future potential problems. Furthermore, if
> Phobos has a wishy-washy legal pedigree, corporate lawyers will not buy
> off on allowing D to be used in their companies.
>
> This issue must be settled in advance of looking at Tango, not after the
> fact.

The BSD license of Tango is here
http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/BSDLicense
The license of Phobos is here
http://www.dsource.org/projects/phobos/browser/trunk/phobos/phoboslicense.txt

These license texts are almost identical.  Both say that you can freely
distribute the library in source or binary form, as long as you retain the
license.  Two differences I see.  One, the Phobos license requires you to
identify if you have changed the file.  Two, the Phobos license is more lax
on requiring acknowledgement for binaries.  But you can't claim you wrote
the binary completely without giving acknowledgement (at least, that's my
interpretation).

I don't want to point any fingers, all I want to do is help resolve the
situation.

>From Walter's camp, are these licenses really THAT different for you to
believe that Phobos will be split into 2 licenses?  And even if it is, who
cares?  The license is so similar, you simply include both for the Phobos
runtime.  Many pieces of software have long lists of acknowledgements and
licenses in their binary distribution (i.e. portions of this software
copyright ...)

>From Tango's camp, the Phobos license is very similar, couldn't you allow
licensing the runtime under the Phobos license as well?  I can't see how it
would hurt, the Phobos license is only slightly more restrictive, but still
is in the same spirit of the BSD license.  The one thing it lacks is an
absolute requirement for acknowledgement in binary form, but it is required
if you claim authorship of software or distribute in source form.  So nobody
can go around claiming they wrote Tango, but if they claim any authorship of
anything, Tango must be there.

Someone's got to give here, maybe there is just a lack of communication, or
maybe there are deeper issues under the surface... To me, this is a no
brainer.  If the license is the only thing stopping you, fix it.  I'm
willing to help in any way I can.  Please set any bad blood aside for this
one issue.

-Steve