The Death of D. (Was Tango vs Phobos)

Sean Reque seanthenewt at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 14 10:21:52 PDT 2008

Yigal Chripun Wrote:

> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> >
> > Slightly OT, and directed at this whole situation: I just sit back and
> > laugh.  *This* is open-source software?  *This* is the supposed "freedom"
> > and "openness" that the whole movement is about?  People bickering for a
> > _year_ over minutiae of licenses which are supposed to promote free use?
> >
> > What have we accomplished?
> >

> Someone once told me that the place with the most politics is academia.
> the professors have so little decision power that they argue (intensely)
> about the smallest and stupidest of things.
> I guess you can say the same thing here: all the code is "open" and
> therefore everyone argues about the smallest details left to argue about
> like  who's name is written on the copyright (and in what order) and
> stuff like that. besides, how can a person steal free code?!
>
> the problem with OSS is that it's free. if it where closed than it would
> be a matter of the amount of money which can be negotiated and agree upon.
> OSS is free therefore the only thing that matters is one's pride and
> that cannot be negotiated.
>

> In this Specific case:
> Walter needs his name on all the Phobos code and he stated his valid
> reasons for it. Tango developers want their names on the Tango code and
> rightly so, since they wrote it. in case of a merger of those two code
> bases you get one joint code base but *two* teams that want their name
> on the code. someone has to be first.
>
> all I can say is that I hope this gets resolved soon for the benefit of
> everyone here.

If I understand correctly, this is an issue not for political reasons, but for legal and economic ones. Digital Mars as a company has to convince the corporate world that they can use the D tools offered without any legal ramifications. I do not see where pride is involved at all, at least on Walter's side. He said he has already given the Tango developers license to use re-license (Phobos?) code how they see fit, and is waiting for the same permission in return.

Sean Reque