The Death of D. (Was Tango vs Phobos)

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Thu Aug 14 11:54:43 PDT 2008

Yigal Chripun wrote:
> In this Specific case:
> Walter needs his name on all the Phobos code and he stated his valid
> reasons for it. Tango developers want their names on the Tango code and
> rightly so, since they wrote it. in case of a merger of those two code
> bases you get one joint code base but *two* teams that want their name
> on the code. someone has to be first.

No, I do not "need my name" on the Phobos code. I have no interest in
taking credit for others' work. As I have stated previously, the idea
here is to:

1. To ensure Phobos is free of any legal taint and any accusations of
stealing code.

2. To avoid the untenable issue of a single module in Phobos having
different license for different lines of code.

It is not an issue of credit, I have no problem with (and strongly
encourage) the people who wrote the code having their name in it and
taking credit.

At one point, Brad was trying to do some merging and was accused of
"stealing" from Tango. I was told later that this was in jest, but this
kind of thing cannot be taken lightly. Phobos needs to be squeaky clean
in the legal department.

I have done my part and have provided an explicit, clear, and
unambiguous license for Tango to use whatever parts of Phobos they need
and to put it under the Tango license (for all the parts for which I
have a right to do so). All I ask is for a reciprocal agreement.