The Death of D. (Was Tango vs Phobos)

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Thu Aug 14 11:59:29 PDT 2008

Christopher Wright wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
>>>
>>> And we have on equally many occasions told you that the code you need is
>>> available. :)
>>
>> I respectfully disagree. The Tango team has stopped short of providing
>> a license to use the Tango code in Phobos with a reciprocal agreement
>> that allows it to be distributed under the Phobos license. I also
>> cannot accept something vague, it has to be explicit.
>>
>> I've dealt with lawyers many times, and spelling it out directly and
>> explicitly avoids a lot of future potential problems. Furthermore, if
>> Phobos has a wishy-washy legal pedigree, corporate lawyers will not
>> buy off on allowing D to be used in their companies.
>>
>> This issue must be settled in advance of looking at Tango, not after
>> the fact.
>
>  From phobos/phoboslicense.txt:
>
>  *  Copyright (C) 2004-2005 by Digital Mars, www.digitalmars.com
>  *  Written by Walter Bright
> (followed by BSD license)
>
> Those lines are an issue. Are you asking for copyright assignment?
> That's a bit much to ask.
>
> An alternative problem is this:
>  *  Placed in the Public Domain
>
> A number of modules in phobos/internal are marked public domain. Are you
> asking for Tango's internals to be placed in the public domain? That
> also is a bit much to ask.

Walter is asking for us to give him the right to distribute any and all
of Tango within Phobos under the Public Domain license.  What I've never
understood is why it's enough for myself, Kris, and Lars to provide this
permission when Tango has had a ton of individual contributors.  But
then I am not a lawyer.

Sean