The Death of D. (Was Tango vs Phobos)

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Thu Aug 14 12:04:28 PDT 2008

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> I don't know the details of the license that Walter gave to the Tango devs,

It's as I posted here. Tango may use any part of Phobos and *relicense*
it under the Tango license that I have the power to do.

> but according to Phobos' license, no explicit permission is needed as long
> as you obey the license terms (which is pretty free in its terms), and in
> fact, Tango has the Phobos license in the runtime anyways, and obeys the
> license that ships with Phobos.  So I don't see how it is relevant that
> Walter gave a specific license to Tango, it was not required (at least
> that's my understanding).  It should be the same thing for Walter to accept
> Tango's modified version of the runtime (just include a copy of Tango's
> license).  My understanding is that Walter is against doing that for the
> purpose of avoiding having 2 licenses in phobos.  Both licenses are very
> similar, and completely compatible.  I see that Walter doesn't like it, but
> I don't see why it is a problem?  Perhaps you could elaborate more, Walter.

I don't know what more needs to be elaborated. There are two reasons for
this:

1. To ensure Phobos is free of any legal taint and any accusations of
stealing code.

2. To avoid the untenable issue of a single module in Phobos having
different license for different lines of code.

> Also, I would like to know specifically what Walter needs from the Tango
> team.  What could it be that he needs that the Tango team is against?

What specifically I'd like from the Tango team is explicit permission
for the Phobos team to go over the Tango code and be able to copy/use
whatever portions of it are necessary to get the two libraries to have a
compatible core, and to relicense those parts under the corresponding
Phobos license.

I have already provided a reciprocal agreement for the Tango team to use
Phobos.