Tango vs Phobos

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Thu Aug 14 12:14:34 PDT 2008

Brad Roberts wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:32:32 -0700
>> From: Walter Bright <newshound1 at digitalmars.com>
>> To: digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
>> Newsgroups: digitalmars.D
>> Subject: Re: Tango vs Phobos
>>
>> Sean Kelly wrote:
>>> Unfortunately, for this to be resolved it requires cooperation from both
>>> sides.  It takes two to Tango, as they say (sorry, bad joke).
>> For my part, I have explicitly allowed the Tango team to look at, use and
>> incorporate any part of Phobos into Tango without prejudice and release it
>> under the Tango license (excluding stuff that I didn't write that has its own
>> copyright license terms). A lot of the new stuff, such as the array op code
>> are even in the public domain to make it super easy.
>>
>> In order for Phobos to move towards compatibility, I need a reciprocal
>> statement from the Tango team. The Tango license does not allow this, and I
>> try to be very careful in making sure Phobos is clean from a legal standpoint.
>>
>> Sean and Don have been most generous in offering such, but the rest of the
>> Tango team have not been willing to, and they have every right to not do so,
>> but it does stand in the way of cooperation.
>>
>> P.S. The reason for the relicense when code is transferred is to avoid the
>> untenable situation of one module in the library having different licenses for
>> different sections of code.
>
> Additionally, Sean has had commit access to phobos for well over a year.
> As far as I can recall, there's been no submits.  I did a good bit of
> unification of the thread model at one point (though far from complete),
> and was accused of stealing code from Tango (no, I'm not going to try to
> dig up exact quotes).  It left a rather sour taste in my mouth at which
> point my enthusiasm was somewhat diminished.  I let the license issue
> further stall any effort on my part.

I don't even have time to maintain the Tango runtime, let alone the
Phobos runtime as well.  And I honestly don't know what I should change
given that I don't know what the plan is for the Phobos runtime.  As for
accusations about stealing code, I will only say that I never made any
such accusations.  But I do recall some contention at the time for your
having full commit rights to Tango, etc, so I do understand your concern.

Sean