The Death of D. (Was Tango vs Phobos)

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Thu Aug 14 12:22:47 PDT 2008

Walter Bright wrote:
> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> I don't know the details of the license that Walter gave to the Tango
>> devs,
>
> It's as I posted here. Tango may use any part of Phobos and *relicense*
> it under the Tango license that I have the power to do.
>
>> but according to Phobos' license, no explicit permission is needed as
>> long as you obey the license terms (which is pretty free in its
>> terms), and in fact, Tango has the Phobos license in the runtime
>> anyways, and obeys the license that ships with Phobos.  So I don't see
>> how it is relevant that Walter gave a specific license to Tango, it
>> was not required (at least that's my understanding).  It should be the
>> same thing for Walter to accept Tango's modified version of the
>> runtime (just include a copy of Tango's license).  My understanding is
>> that Walter is against doing that for the purpose of avoiding having 2
>> licenses in phobos.  Both licenses are very similar, and completely
>> compatible.  I see that Walter doesn't like it, but I don't see why it
>> is a problem?  Perhaps you could elaborate more, Walter.
>
> I don't know what more needs to be elaborated. There are two reasons for
> this:
>
> 1. To ensure Phobos is free of any legal taint and any accusations of
> stealing code.
>
> 2. To avoid the untenable issue of a single module in Phobos having
> different license for different lines of code.
>
>> Also, I would like to know specifically what Walter needs from the
>> Tango team.  What could it be that he needs that the Tango team is
>> against?
>
> What specifically I'd like from the Tango team is explicit permission
> for the Phobos team to go over the Tango code and be able to copy/use
> whatever portions of it are necessary to get the two libraries to have a
> compatible core, and to relicense those parts under the corresponding
> Phobos license.

I think this is arguably a reasonable first step, but working towards a
compatible core still means two separate cores, which means not being
able to use Tango and Phobos together in the same app.  So I'll admit to
not completely understanding the reasoning behind this approach, but
it's the only option so I'm happy to comply.  Frankly, I don't want to
be stuck maintaining the Tango runtime from now until doomsday anyway :-)

Sean