The Death of D. (Was Tango vs Phobos)

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 16:15:15 PDT 2008

Yigal Chripun Wrote:

> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>  > Copyright law is not that rediculous (aside from the US DMCA).
> US DMCA is not only ridiculous but also illegal since it violates the US
>  constitution. Sadly, I don't see any public outcry against this and
> other laws like eavesdropping without a court order and other violations
> of basic rights as written in the constitution. Should I care for this
> really sad situation in which "the greatest democracy" is in?
> unfortunately the answer is yes because the US government influences and
> puts pressure on other countries to adjust to their view and thus
> indirectly influences our local laws.
> This is evident in the raid on the pirate bay's servers which was
> illegal according to local law and was done due to pressure from the US
> administration.
> our local copyright law was recently changed to be more like the US one,
>  due to similar reasons.

I've had very mixed feelings about all this. One one hand, the letter of the
law may be questionably constitutional. But millions of dollars every day are
lost because people (including myself occasionally...) steal copyrighted
material. Honestly, I think there should be much stricter penalties for
things like internet piracy, because it's simply so widespread and damaging.