The Death of D. (Was Tango vs Phobos)

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Thu Aug 14 22:29:36 PDT 2008

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> To this end, even if Walter DID get permission from all the Tango devs, this
> does not preclude the possibility that someone else's code (not even from
> Tango) was stolen and contributed to Tango.  There is no way to be 100%
> sure, so this whole issue is rather petty to me.

That would not be good, but at least I would have taken reasonable steps
  and that's all that could be expected. In my experience with legal
cases, taking reasonable steps carries the day. Frankly, the whole
economy would collapse if you could not take a signed statement at face
value.

> But wouldn't it be enough for all the Tango devs (who didn't write the
> runtime) to put that in a signed statement?  I can't see how releasing *all*
> of Tango in PD (or even the runtime, for that matter, but that's up to the
> devs of the runtime) makes it any more valid.

Sean has emailed me an archive of the code that he owns the rights to. I
  believe this is probably sufficient to get compatibility, in which
case that is plenty good enough.