The Death of D. (Was Tango vs Phobos)

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 11:49:27 PDT 2008

Lars Ivar Igesund Wrote:

> Jason House wrote:
>
> > Even so, once there's a common runtime, it'd be nice if we could have a
> > combined releases of dmd+phobos+tango.  If a community member provided a
> > combo release (probably following a Tango release), would you put it up as
> > a downloadable item on the digital mars site?
>
> There are other compilers than DMD, so I (as the current Tango release
> manager) see no practical way to coordinate releases of Tango and
DMD.
> Tango bundles latest stable DMD when it is released, and if Tango is ever
> bundled with DMD, I would assume that to work in the same manner.

Yes, that's the way it is now, and it's not something I really expect to change except that the non-runtime phobos pieces would be left in.

The key question hidden in my last paragraph is if Walter would treat the Tango bundles as a first-class release of dmd.  That means including it for one-click download from the download page with appropriate markings.  Maybe using the combined Tango release as the beta version and dmd+phobos as the alpha version?  I'm not too sure, but I'd really love to see a commitment to a unified D standard library (even if it bleeding edge releases miss some parts of the standard library)