Tango vs Phobos

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Fri Aug 15 13:12:58 PDT 2008

Walter Bright wrote:
> Tomas Lindquist Olsen wrote:
>> Most of the changes we've made are to fix portability/platform related
>> issues. For example, extensive use of printf formatting flags
>> unsupported by ming32,
>
> Umm, those are standard C flags? Hasn't ming32 been updated yet?
>
>> assumptions that target is 32bit, etc.
>>
>> These would be really nice to get fixed in your tree as they make up
>> the majority of the changes, and it would make merging in your DMD
>> updates quite a bit easier. Also it would probably help other people
>> use the frontend for different things in the future.
>
> Yes, I agree. Absolutely!
>

>> We're still at 1.033 in LLVMDC, but once I find the time to merge in
>> 1.034 I'll take a look at this and see if I can conjure up some
>> patches for review.
>
> I'm looking forward to it.

Walter, thank you for agreeing with those changes!
As the toolset of a language is highly important to its productivity, so
does that mean that the more help the community gets in reusing and
improving each others tools, the better D will be (especially since we
don't have the backing of a large corporation, and most of D's
contributers are volunteers/hobbyists). And even more important if that
tool is the compiler (which is already being used in several projects).

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate