[OT] - does IP exist?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 15 13:43:20 PDT 2008

I'll make this one post with my opinion, respond if you wish, I won't
answer.  But nobody's really brought this point up.

Violating copyright law is illegal.  Whether you think you are in the right
or not, it doesn't matter.  I happen to think that the copyright law is
pretty fair, except for the DMCA, and the ability to hold a copyright pretty
much indefinitely.  The whole point of copyright law is to allow people to
share media without losing your ability to make money from it.  Not ideas,
but the actual media, whether it be written, audio, video, etc.  The point
is that it costs a lot of money to make this media, and if there is not some
protection from copying, people will not want to share it or make it, and
that has a chilling effect on society.

Copying music, movies, software, etc. for the purposes of Fair Use is
perfectly legal.  Fair use means, if I have a CD, and I want to make an MP3
of it, I can copy it so long as I do not give it to someone else so that
both of us have the same thing.  I would consider copying a piece of
software to multiple computers in my own household Fair Use, or burning a CD
for my wife Fair Use.  But I would not consider copying a piece of software
to all my friends' houses Fair Use.

The problem with all your ranting about how software should be free is, it
doesn't really matter.  If they fine you $10k, then will it matter to you?
If the throw you in jail, then will it matter to you?  No matter whether you
think its right or not, it doesn't matter.  The law is what matters, and for
better or worse, you have to obey it, or you face criminal penalties.  Just
ask the poor shmucks who all got sued by the music industry if they care
anymore whether downloading music illegally is right or not.  They might
tell you they still think it's ok, but I'm pretty sure they ain't doing it
again :)

I can't say the same for DMCA, because I think it violates free speech.  I
think eventually, this law will be overturned if someone pushes it hard
enough.

If I can come to your house and take your car, does it mean it's ok?  It's
possible to do, so it should be OK, right?  What you have to understand is
just because something is possible, doesn't mean it's ok.

-Steve