The Death of D. (Was Tango vs Phobos)

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 18:25:50 PDT 2008

superdan wrote:
> Christopher Wright Wrote:
>> I don't believe that you would do so. But by requiring Tango to be
>> placed in the public domain, you're allowing everyone else to do so.
>
> he didn't require tango to be placed in the public domain. he asked for the same deal he gave to tango. actually he didn't even ask. he just mentioned what it takes for him to look at the code.

He wanted permission to license Tango as Phobos is licensed. Phobos was
licensed in a BSD-like license, but Walter has been changing it to
public domain.

Walter did explicitly say that he wanted to relicense Tango as public
domain, I believe.

>> The BSD license is explicit permission. Or do you intend to redistribute
>> Tango code without proper attribution?
>
> no. he just wants to escape the tyranny of slander. he's just worried that a tyrangot will _claim_ walt redistributed tango code without proper attribution.

The accusation was ridiculous. As such, Walter would trivially fulfill
the requirements of the BSD license.