The Death of D. (Was Tango vs Phobos)

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 08:00:04 PDT 2008

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> "downs" <default_357-line at yahoo.de> wrote in message
> news:g84gml$1rb1$1 at digitalmars.com...
>
>> Software is purely information. "Software is a product" is a relatively
>> novel idea that, I believe, was invented by our friends at MS (though I
>> cannot point at a source for that claim).
>
> Oh don't give me that bullshit.  If anything, another company came up with
> the idea and MS bought them out ;)

Oh, come on! "software is a product" makes sense -- as in "you buy it
and you can do what you want with it (your copy of it, that is)". I
believe what MS gave us was "software is licensed, and you can only do
with it what we say you can no matter how much you paid for it". Which
is more absurd then saying software developers have no right to sell
their software!