[OT] - does IP exist?

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 16 09:38:42 PDT 2008

"Jb" <jb at nowhere.com> wrote in message news:g86rhg$2v5q$1 at digitalmars.com...

> I mean sure most people who pirate Photoshop wouldn't pay the $200 (or
> whatever it is) to buy the legit version. But by pirating photoshop they
> are satisfying a need they have that would likely have to be satisfied by
> cheaper alternatives.

You're a bit low on that figure.  CS3 starts at $650, and CS3 extended is
$1000.

Then you have software like 3DS Max, which usually _starts_ at $3000, and
Maya which is in the $7000 range.

To me, it's no real surprise that piracy of programs like these is so
rampant.  How are hobbyists/small companies supposed to pay for software
like this?  Yes, you can get student/educational editions of many of these
products, but they've got a completely crippled license and they've still
got hefty price tags, usually $400-700.

I would _gladly_ purchase some of this software if they offered varying
levels of it along with commercial licenses.  $600 for a stripped-down 3DS
Max?  Sure, if I'm really into that stuff, why not.  But with $3000 I can,
oh I don't know, buy a car, or feed myself for a year.