[OT] - does IP exist?

Jb jb at nowhere.com
Sat Aug 16 13:05:10 PDT 2008

"Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:g86vqe$4g5$1 at digitalmars.com...

> To me, it's no real surprise that piracy of programs like these is so
> rampant.  How are hobbyists/small companies supposed to pay for software
> like this?  Yes, you can get student/educational editions of many of these
> products, but they've got a completely crippled license and they've still
> got hefty price tags, usually $400-700.

I dont see why hobbyists and small business have to have Photoshop and 3DS
Max.

> I would _gladly_ purchase some of this software if they offered varying
> levels of it along with commercial licenses.  $600 for a stripped-down 3DS
> Max?  Sure, if I'm really into that stuff, why not.  But with $3000 I can,
> oh I don't know, buy a car, or feed myself for a year.

What if you're really into Ferraris.. but cant afford one?

To do 3d modeling you dont have to have 3DS Max. There's plenty of other
options, even free options.

But some people have to have the L33T software. Like some audiophiles have
to have oxygen free cables. And this is the main problem with the audio
software industry imo. A lot of people want their tracks going through the
top of the line plugins, cause they think that'll make 'em sound pro. And
they cant afford them so they pirate them. So companies making cheaper ones,
which are often just as good, loose sales.

(That's not aimed at you btw, just a general rant)