The Death of D. (Was Tango vs Phobos)

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 19:15:18 PDT 2008

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 03:59:08 +0300, Yigal Chripun wrote:

> My major issue with what you wrote is this: 60 years or so ago women
> didn't have the right to vote in the US. let's go even before that to
> the time when black people in America were considered property and
> didn't have any rights. In that period of time a white person could
> claim that the law states that his black slave is his property and it is
> entirely legal and moral to treat him as such. Today, you'd of course
> disagree. Just as that man would claim according to the law that black
> people where not really people and didn't have any rights, you now claim
> that we are not entitled to the right of freedom of information.
> besides that, you talk in metaphors of infinitely copyable chairs (just
> like in star trek..). I can compare that with the philosophical question
> of "what if a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there, does it
> make a sound?" BUT, elementary physics tells us that the tree does make
> a sound regardless. And I'll tell you: The chairs are *not* infinitely
> copyable. What if I had three legs? well, I don't. So please stick to
> the reality that chairs are not the same thing as software.

Sorry your beef with the past does not work. Back in those days blacks
were property, sad but true. Yes there were people that didn't like it,
and it was a horrible treatment of human life, yet there is a reason we
do not charge people with a crime that was not a crime at the time. You
must work to make change, and breaking law might be the only way to do
it, but it is your choice and breaking the law (hence illegal).

My infinitely copyable chair example actually made reference to
productions lines, which I do believe exist outside of Star Treck. I
suppose I will have to state that yes, truly infinite copyable anything
can not exist, you have to store you program somewhere. But for all
intents and purposes products can be produced to a state that is
equivalent to infinitely copyable, you only need enough to satisfy
everyone that wants it.

Information, this is the god damn English language we are talking about,
you need to go and define this thing that you wish to be throwing around
as something we have a right to. And frankly, what we refer to for this
right is completely different and so I am not going to define it myself
because that is not the argument.

> There are no inherit rights that allow the author to control
> distribution. The way it actually works is this: a) you came up with new
> exciting idea/poem/article/software/etc.. b) either you keep it to
> yourself or you publish it. c) once it was published it is in the public
> domain. you cannot tell me: I have an idea such as <some idea> BUT since
> I just told you my idea it is mine alone and you cannot use it. If you
> do not want me to use your idea just keep it for yourself and don't tell
> anyone about it. This is what Coca-Cola does with its secret recipe.
> (it's secret!)

Yeah, they are natural rights given by nature. A farmer produces corn,
and low and behold he has control over distribution of it. Why, he
labored over it and got a product. If someone else is successful in doing
the same, great but in either case this creator has the right given by
the fact that to produce corn in such quantities takes work and not
everyone is going to stumble across the free supplies they need. Which is
where the idea of inherent rights to distribution come from. If a laborer
of physical goods gets this right without legal statement, a laborer of
something that does not have this innate property should have it extended
to him.

> The above basic scheme was augmented by copyright/patent laws in the
> following matter:
> The state gives the creator a *limited* time-span of exclusivity from
> the moment he told the world his idea or published his book/song/etc.
> This is a trade-off designed to make it worthwhile for people to come up
> with new ideas, invest their time in art, etc. I.e the public gives some
> of its rights in order to gain more diversity of ideas and such.

Do you see a problem with such an idea? If I work at something that
others enjoy why not have exclusive rights to it? Yes people are willing
to create things for free, but that was their choice and they were the
ones that put work into it.

> Your entire analogy to chairs and such is plain false. This is not about
> evil me trying to prevent the hard working artist/software developer
> from earning his [well deserved] keep. With your method it is illogical
> for a creator to give away his creation freely and yet get paid for his
> hard work. That is, companies like Red hat simply cannot exist since you
> can freely [and legally] download all their products on their website.
> Yet, fact is that Red hat is a very financially successful company.

First off, not RedHats choice anyway, they built on something that was
already being given out for free. Secondly, how is it logical to give
something out for free and then be paid for it? Isn't that like selling
it (this is assuming you get paid for every one given out for free).

The main fallacy with your argument is saying that people can make money
even if the are not charging for it. So what? I'm not arguing here what
the best business model is to make the most money. There is lots of
great, free software out there where people make money. What does that
have to do with anything? If you want to convince people to make their
stuff free, then great, but it has nothing to do with are argument.

> Another example would be music artists which distribute their music
> freely online and yet do get paid for their hard work - the more people
> listen to their music online the more will want to come to a live
> performance [and pay for the ticket]. many artists already realized
> this. They do not need the record companies to be successful. on the
> contrary, the more they give for free, the more fans they have and the
> more they earn.

See above. I don't care what gets people the most money. I care about
these person's right to decide how the do their product distribution.

> When I wanted to buy a book about Java I went and bought "Thinking in
> Java" which the author publishes a free online version of on his site. I
> did download and read the online version and that convinced me it to pay
> for the paper version. Not only that but I also recommend this book and
> other books by the author, Bruce Eckel, to all my friends.

See above. Great your one of the nice peoples that pays for things they
get for free.

> One last thing: history teaches us that once the freedom of information
> is lost all the other rights will soon follow. happened numerous times
> all over the world. we all know that when someone burns books the next
> thing he'll burn will be people.

See third paragraph. Define information, then correlate to how the loss
of different types of information (yes there is more than one) lead to
loss of other rights. I would agree with you on some, but not all. And
maybe this can be the topic of the next postings.