The Death of D. (Was Tango vs Phobos)

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 20:59:12 PDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 04:12:37AM +0100, Jb wrote:
> No-one is trying
> to erase certain ideas / artistic works from history. We are in fact trying
> to do the exact oposite. We are trying to create an enviroment where ideas
> and artist works flourish.

Then why is this debate about rights? Rights are irrelevant - what
matters is the results.

If your goal is to create an environment where ideas and art flourish,
great. That's a good goal, and that is where your defence should be
focused.

Forget all this repetitive talk about rights, and talk about how the
law helps or doesn't help achieve this goal (or whatever other goal you
want to set).

Copyright law might be a valid way to achieve this goal. It might not
be. There might be completely better ways (something I'm convinced of).

Setting a real world goal for the debate lets both sides create an
objective test case for their arguments, which would let it finally come
to an adequate conclusion.

--
Adam D. Ruppe
http://arsdnet.net