[OT]Talking to Pirates

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 22:15:32 PDT 2008

I'm not usually one for posting off topic, but this is something
relevant to a discussion that has spread across three threads so far :)

Cliff Harris, an independent game developer, recently went out and asked
why pirates do what they do. He got an overwhelming response. You can
read the results here:

http://www.positech.co.uk/talkingtopirates.html

Additionally, earlier this year one of the most successful indie game
companies out there discovered that 92% of the full version copies of
one of their games were pirated. There is a writeup about it, with some
details on how they tried to reduce that number, over at Gamasutra:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17350

I thought some of the parties on both sides of the discussions here
might find these links interesting.