[OT] - does IP exist?

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 13:54:54 PDT 2008

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 19:46:50 +0000, Manfred_Nowak wrote:

> Jesse Phillips wrote:
>
>> but this is because me and Yigal do not seem to have the same
>> understanding
>
> Natural language is full of ambiguities. One can be glad to detect those
> ambiguities early.
>
> Therefore: if one wants to restrict freedom, because one assumes that
> some or several can benefit from that restriction, then one has to set
> up unambiguous rules. Rules on how to detect violations, how the lost
> benefits are to be valued and how the violations should be prosecuted.
>
> -manfred

Yes, but the point was that _you_ had an understanding of what was said
or at least where it was going. The problem is not really knowing of the
ambiguities, but addressing them. Since language is full of the
ambiguities even trying to explain the main idea can lead to more that
need to be explained. It is usually more efficient to assume that the
idea can be communicated without nitpicking at what was said.

Pirating vs stealing, come on. I can agree with what downs is
distinguishing here, but I don't see the point. They are both just as
wrong as the other and can have the same effects (or at least that is
where the argument is).