The Death of D. (Was Tango vs Phobos)

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 17:02:33 PDT 2008

Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 06:58:13PM +0100, Jb wrote:
>> I think the mistake you and Yigal are making is assuming that it should all
>> be done in the same way.
>
> My own position is may be a little weird. As far as rights to information
> goes, there are a two:
>
> 1) You cannot force someone to divulge anything.
>
> Thus, he is free to charge someone for a piece of information if he wants.
>
> 2) You cannot force someone /not/ to divulge something.
>
> Thus, once you tell someone something, he is free to resell it if he wants.
>
> In short, I'm saying a person can choose to tell or not tell whatever he
> wants.
>

> We are definitely in agreement on point #1. Copyright directly restricts
> point #2 - it forces people to not divulge something they know, lest they
> face undesirable consequences.

Copyright has no relevance to the spread of information. That's what
NDAs and opaque governments are for. You are absolutely free to divulge
anything and everything you know about copyrighted material. You just
can't copy if for distribution. Go ahead, write an essay describing the
inner workings of the copyrighted software you've reverse engineered so
that others can recreate it. You'll violate no copyright by doing so
(and no need to mention the DMCA -- that's nothing to do with copyright
and everything to do with corporate bottom lines). That's information
and you are at total liberty to spread it as you see fit. The software
itself is *not* information.