The Death of D. (Was Tango vs Phobos)

Benji Smith dlanguage at benjismith.net
Mon Aug 18 12:41:14 PDT 2008

Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> Downloading it isn't an option at all until the money is already paid,
> because before then, the software doesn't exist yet.
>
>> The vast majority of people will not pay if they dont have to.
>
> Right, so the trick is to make it so they think they have to. Tax season
> is coming up, and you really wish you had a program up to date with
> this year's tax code to help you out. Uh oh, no program exists, but there
> is a development company saying they'll make one if they get a total
> of $100,000 in investments.
>
> Someone else might pay for it, but everyone would think that, so the
> rational person has to assume that no one is going to pay for it, thus,
> the software will never be written and he won't be able to use it.

Adam, you have some mind-bogglingly weird ideas about software
development, creativity, sociology, economics, etc, etc.

Last year, I downloaded TurboTax on April 14th. For about $25. Without
joining a co-op or voting or features or pledging to pay for the future
delivery of undeveloped software or anything like that. It was easier
than buying a candy bar, and took less time.

--benji