The Death of D. (Was Tango vs Phobos)

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 15:10:22 PDT 2008

This is taking way more time than I bargained for, so this will probably
be my last word on the subject. I have real work I need to be doing.

My plan isn't at all as radical as it might look. In practice, I would
expect something like this:

  Liked 1.0? Pre-order 2.0 now, and remember, if we don't get enough
  pre-orders, 2.0 will never be released, and this is no bluff.

I say we come back to this debate in ten years and see what has happened.
I'm willing to guess that regardless of our personal opinions on copyright
in principle, the fact is that it will lose its effectiveness as piracy
continues to grow and it doesn't look like piracy will stop growing.

My plan might be a way around this, and it might not be. Heck, most businesses
fail even in the best of times, and this would likely be no exception. Either
way, software as a product like we see now is something I expect to be dead
or mostly dead by 2020 and something will take its place.

The reality is it looks like piracy is here to stay. We need to make the
best of that fact if we want to survive in the business of programming.

If I'm wrong, you'll have my full concession in the next decade  :)

--
Adam D. Ruppe
http://arsdnet.net