[OT] - does IP exist?

Manfred_Nowak svv1999 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 18 15:01:57 PDT 2008

Adam D. Ruppe wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 06:46:44PM +0000, Manfred_Nowak wrote:
>> How can you decide which of two objects is the parent of the
>> other, if sexual reproduction is defined to be "copying", i.e.
>> both objects are holding the same relevant information?
>>
>> -manfred
>
> Age. The one that was there first is the original, and the
> subsequent ones are the copies.
>
> You might not be able to tell the age by directly looking at the
> data itself (like with a copy of a file), but you can figure it
> out through other means (possibly the creation date in the file's
> metadata, or maybe by documentation from another source.)

Now we are engaged with the core: what is copying?

If a copied object is not forced to hold the exactly same relevant
information as the original, then how can you prove for differing
objects, that one object is indeed a copy of the other?

If sufficient similarity is enough for a copy:
1) how do one measure similarity?
2) Is it tolerable, that after some iterated copy steps the rsult can
no more considered to be a copy of the original?

If age is an allowed attribute for comparing objects: how can one
exclude, that none of the objects is the original; i.e. when you
compare an uncle with his nephew, but the original was some anchestor
of both?

-manfred
--
Maybe some knowledge of some types of disagreeing and their relation
can turn out to be useful: