Thin Lock Implementation

Bartosz Milewski bartosz at relisoft.com
Sun Aug 24 15:29:28 PDT 2008

Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> I would love to hear you point on optimizing an OS lock that is already
> optimized.

I think I'm going to write a separate blog post on this topic, since
it's causing a lot of controversy. The short answer is that OS locks are
optimized for different scenarios then thin locks.

> Is that really necessary? Do you have numbers that back you up?

The original thin lock paper has the numbers. Granted, they are for
Java, but I don't see why they shouldn't be a ballpark for D as well.