Why Strings as Classes?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Aug 26 05:15:28 PDT 2008

Walter Bright:
> > We've already observed that D assoc arrays are less performant than even
> > Python maps, so the extra cost of lookup operations is unwelcome.
>
> Every one of those benchmarks that purported to show that D AA's were
> relatively slow turned out to be, on closer examination, D running the
> garbage collector more often than Python does. It had NOTHING to do with
> the AA's.

Really? I must have missed those conclusions then, despite reading all the posts on the subject. What solutions do you propose for the problem then? I recall that disabling the GC didn't improve the situation much. So the problem now becomes how to improve the D GC?

In my site I am keeping a gallery of tiny benchmarks where D code (with DMD) is 10 or more times slower than very equivalent Python, C, Java code (I have about 12 programs so far, very different from each other. There's a benchmark regarding the associative arrays too). Hopefully it will become useful once people will start tuning D implementations.

Bye,
bearophile