Benchmark Design (was: Why Strings as Classes?)

Manfred_Nowak svv1999 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 28 03:51:03 PDT 2008

bearophile wrote:

>> Biggest of all: using the wrong tool. I.e. using a hash map for a
>> maximal populated key range.
>
> But if the hash machinery is good it must work well in this common
> situation too.

This statement seems to be as true as the statement:

    But if a house is good it must perform well
    in the common situation of an off shore
    speed boat race.

The problem with your approach is, that you have close to no idea,
whether your candidates are speed boats or houses. The only thing you
know seems to be, that in both candidates some humans can live for some
time.

Your first design seems to have placed both candidates off shore. Now
you have introduced some randomness in the location.

However, you might only be designing some overly complicated tool for
computing the percentage of landmass not covered by water on some
random planet.

-manfred

--
If life is going to exist in this Universe, then the one thing it
cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion. (Douglas Adams)