Prototypes (was: Why Strings as Classes?)

Manfred_Nowak svv1999 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 28 04:33:47 PDT 2008

Walter Bright wrote:

> I invite you to look at the code in internal/aaA.d and do some
> testing!

This invitation is a red herring without the offer to change the
language, because there exists no implementation for AA covering all
possible use cases.

The bare minimum to get anything out of fiddling with the
implemenations for AA is the posibility to use the results of adaptions
without considerable overhead especially for the declarations. However,
currenty I do not see any elegant solution, because types of
implementation of maps are given implicitely.

At least something like prototyping seems to be necessary:

|    int[ char[]] map;
|    Prototype= typeof( map);
|    Prototype.implementation= MyAA;

where MyAA is some class type implementing the interface required for
AA.

Are you willing to do something in this direction?

-manfred
--
If life is going to exist in this Universe, then the one thing it
cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion. (Douglas Adams)