DDBI and MySQL

Chris R. Miller lordSaurontheGreat at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 00:47:30 PDT 2008

I've been working to attempt to get DDBI to work with MySQL.
Unfortunately I'm stuck with the Windows platform for lack of the
impetus and know-how to get the compiler working elsewhere.

I use a slightly modified version of DDBI to get SQLite to work.  I
don't think that would disrupt the workings of MySQL.

Once I found the correct library file to use (buried in a large download
of MySQL - the server, which was annoying) I found that the whole
she-bang didn't work at all.  It was all tied to a strange external
declaration in imp_win.d, which apparently decided that on Windows the
MySQL support is provided by extern(Windows) instead of extern(C).

Once I got that cleared up, I started a bunch of "cannot implicitly cast
foo* to foo*" errors, which mystified me.  I think it's because one is
tossing an alias of something to something that's expecting the
un-aliased something, and so it's having some issues.

So attempting to fix the issues didn't work terribly well.  I beat
through a few pointer issues to get hung up on a weird pointer issue
which emits this error:

dbi\mysql\MysqlDatabase.d(194): constructor
dbi.mysql.MysqlResult.MysqlResult.th
is (st_mysql_res*) does not match parameter types (st_mysql_res*)
dbi\mysql\MysqlDatabase.d(194): Error: cannot implicitly convert
expression (cas
t(st_mysql_res*)*results) of type st_mysql_res* to st_mysql_res*

I'm pretty puzzled.  I've tried casting it explicitly, and it doesn't
work.  I'd really appreciate it if someone knew what is going on.  When
I explicitly cast it, it still give the same error.

This is DMD version 1.033.