Why Strings as Classes?

Dee Girl deegirl at noreply.com
Fri Aug 29 07:31:14 PDT 2008

Christopher Wright Wrote:

> Dee Girl wrote:
> > Christopher Wright Wrote:

> >> Correct. The question is whether you should make asymptotic complexity
> >> part of the interface. If you do, that hurts when you want to optimize
> >> for a common case but still allow some inefficient operations.
> >
> > I think it is really helpful if you learn STL. Very opening for your mind. Because STL does exactly you said. For example there is function distance(). It computes distance between iterators in O(n). But if iterators are random it works in O(1). So function is as fast as possible. And has uniform interface.
>
> The problem with your suggestions -- I have no idea whether your
> suggestions are related to STL or how, since I don't know the STL -- is
> that it's too easy for a library developer to prevent people from using
> a particular data structure just because it implements an operation in a
> slow manner.
>
> >> If you want to define some empty interfaces, such as:
> >> interface IFastIndexList : IList {}
> >>
> >> These would allow you to do things like:
> >> bool containsSorted (IList list, Object element)
> >> {
> >> 	auto fast = cast(IFastIndexList)list;
> >> 	if (fast) return (binarySearch(list, element) >= 0);
> >> 	// default implementation here
> >> }
> >>
> >> However, your library should not have any publicly exposed operations
> >> that only take IFastIndexList, and it's silly to define different
> >> functions for indexing in an IFastIndexList versus an IList.
> >
> > Again. Why make design on your knees (I mean in a hurry) when STL has much better and beautiful design? I think STL book helps very much!
>
> I don't know of STL's design.
>
> A collection has a set of supported operations. A supported operation is
> one that has a correct implementation. An operation need not be
> efficient to be supported, such as opIndex for linked lists.
>
> A collection has guarantees about asymptotic complexity. (Or maybe not.)
>
> These are two different responsibilities. It is a terrible thing to
> conflate them.

> >> I think it should work, since the data structure implements the
> >> necessary operations. I think no sensible programmer should use it.
> >
> > This is very very big misunderstanding. I see this written again. I think somebody else also explained. In concrete code you can make sensible choice. But in generic code you can not choice. I think STL book is really helpful. Also when you maintain code you need compiler to help. If code still compiles but does O(n*n) it is bad!
>
> If you are writing generic code, then your code is not choosing the data
> structure to use. It is the responsibility of the calling code to use an
> efficient data structure for the operation or deal with the extra time
> that the operation will take.

> >> You can do that with templates. If you want to use classes with
> >> inheritance, or interfaces, you can no longer use templates.

> [...]

Hi, Christopher!

Thank you for answering my post. Thank you very much. Unfortunately I must leave this discussion. The subject becomes very long. There are many mistakes in post above or Nick post I want to explain. But I do not know to explain very well. And it takes me very long time! I can not continue.

Discussion becomes about STL design. To explain I have to explain STL first. But it is impossible to me ^_^. I think, if you want to discuss STL, then it is good to know it. It is very brave you can discuss without knowing! I can not do it and I admire your strong opinion. But even strong opinion can be mistake. And even strong opinion can change with knowledge. I think it helps very much if you learn STL. Then even if your opinion does not change you have more knowledge. Good luck! Thank you and sorry, Dee Girl