'package' and access from subpackages..

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 29 15:50:41 PDT 2008

"Christian Kamm" <kamm-incasoftware at removethis.de> wrote in message
news:g99i3t$2gfj$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>> If I were able to access package members from superpackages, however,
>> this
>> would be easy.  It also makes sense -- in the above hierarchy,
>> pack1.pack2.a *is in* the package pack1, although indirectly, so it
>> should
>> have access to pack1.c's package members.
>

> I agree and from a short look at the sources, it should be an easy change
> access.c:hasPackageAccess.
>
> 1) Could this change break any existing code? I don't think so, but am not
> entirely sure.

It would make what's currently an error not an error, so no, I don't think
so.

> 2) If it can't break any code, can we get it applied D1?

For some reason W doesn't seem to agree.  He doesn't want *any* changes
going into D1, breaking or not.

But if it's not specified, I don't know how you can call it a "change,"
simply a "clarification."  I.e. .tupleof used on structs with private
members (which used to give an error in D1.  I was unable to convince W when
he fixed this in D2, but for some reason, he went ahead and changed it when
someone else filed a bug report, go figure.)