Why I like D

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 12:34:54 PST 2008

Sounds pretty close to my thoughts on the subject.

A couple of years ago I decided that I was really tired of fighting
with with C++ (mostly the memory micro-management, the horrible
template mess, and totally unreadable code in standard libs like Boost
and STL).  So I decided to find something easier and more fun to use.
I decided that I would go with 1 dynamic language and 1 static
compiled language.   After looking around I decided on Python for the
dynamic language, (primarily because of the active NumPy/SciPy
community), and for the static language I chose OCaml because it
sounded like a nice hybrid of functional with OOP, and appeared to be
used by various people who care about having their numerical code run
fast.

But then I sat down to try to figure out how to write a simple OpenGL
program in OCaml.  Hmm.  Couldn't find anything about it.  From a
quick google just now, I see someone made some GL bindings late in
2007, but that was too late for me.  Anyway it wasn't just the lack of
GL bindings.  It was sitting down and realizing that with OCaml I was
basically going to have to re-learn how to do everything I already
knew how to do, but using Monads or whatever.

Python didn't put any such roadblocks in my way so I got started using
it right away with no problems.  No problems, that is, until I started
trying to write some very loop-intensive mesh processing code.  And it
was just soooooo slooooooow.  And I began spending lots of my time
trying to figure out how to turn simple nested loops into one-line
vector expressions just so that Numpy would run them at reasonable
speed.  And I also got increasingly annoyed by the silly runtime
errors that any decent compiler would tell me about.    I got a Python
IDE which I liked, but I realized that the startup time for running
python programs in that IDE was about as long as compile times for
equivalently sized programs in C++, so where's this supposed advantage
from not having to compile?

The same time I had been eyeing D, and occasionally checking out the
webnews but I had the concept that it was hard to integrate with other
code because I would need special versions of all my libraries (DMD
COFF libs vs the MS libs I have lying around already).  That put me
off a bit.   But as I got into Python more I started learning how to
write my own native Python modules, and started getting the hang of
it.  At some point I realized, hey, getting my C code to work with D
is kind of like writing a native Python module, but a *whole lot
easier*!  All I have to do is re-write function signatures, instead of
doing a bunch of funky PyTuple_FromArgs() PyIncRef() nonsense!  Funny
how perspective works.  From a C++ coders perspective the hoops D was
going to make me go through looked very annoying, but with Python
goggles on, talking to C code from D looks like a walk in the park.

So I decided to give D a serious test drive.   And it's turned out
very well.  D is a lot of fun to develop with.

Even when I think about the downsides of D -- having to write or port
a lot of my own libraries, working around compiler bugs, not having a
super-duper GUI debugger (and when I started no real debugger at all)
-- all these things are much less annoying than trying to debug some
intricate memory allocation issue in C++ or trying to figure out why
some complex template lib like boost::serialize is not working.  So
maybe overall I don't develop much faster, but I sure have a lot more
fun doing it.  Especially the first one -- having to write or port
your own libs -- it may be a lot of extra work you wouldn't have to do
in C++, but it's kinda fun, and when you're done you know your lib
inside and out and know you can fix any problem that arises.  Heck,
even with C++ many developers will rewrite even when they could reuse
just because they prefer that level of ownership and total control.

Now I just wish the BigMegaCorps of the world would take notice and
write us some nice VisualStudio-caliber integrated gui IDE/debuggers.

--bb