Why I like D

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Dec 4 14:44:34 PST 2008

"bearophile" <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote in message
news:gh9gqv$25lf$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Bill Baxter:
>>And I also got increasingly annoyed by the silly runtime errors that any
>>decent compiler would tell me about.<
>
> Generally I don't have such problems, but maybe my style of coding is
> quite "careful" anyway.

That's the reason I refuse to use dynamic languages and indentation-syntax
languages whenever I have a choice. They're nothing but a giant step
backwards, constantly replacing the most basic and standard compiler
diagnostics with the world's most unnecessary runtime atrocities.

D is great because it proves to the world (or at least the few non-scripter
programmers still out there) that good things like clean syntax,
safety/reliability, functional-features-in-an-imperative-language,
reflection, high productivity, etc are absolutely not things that in any way
necessitate a dynamic language or a VM. I think there are *way* too many
people out there who associate "static typing", "natively-compiled", and
"general purpose" directly with "C++", and that's an absolute shame because
C++ is probably one of the worst examples of those things, especially in the
presence of D.