Why I like D

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Dec 5 06:54:46 PST 2008

"Robert Fraser" <fraserofthenight at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ghabu5$1v4$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky Wrote:
>> That's the reason I refuse to use dynamic languages and
>> indentation-syntax
>> languages whenever I have a choice. They're nothing but a giant step
>> backwards, constantly replacing the most basic and standard compiler
>> diagnostics with the world's most unnecessary runtime atrocities.
>
> Confusing two things there. Haskell is an indentation-syntax language, but
> not dynamic. The compiler catches quite a bit.

No, I'm keeping a clear, deliberate separation between dynamic-typing and
indentation-syntax here. For all I know, indentation-syntax might be less
problematic in a functional language like Haskell, but besides Python, I've
used another indentiation-syntax language, SPIN (not dynamic typed), and
even in that I found the indentation stuff to be never helpful, but
sometimes problematic (it misses scope-related bugs that never would have
occurred in the first place in any non-indentation language). If Python
really wants to put an end to improperly indented source files, it should
error out when indentation doesn't match non-whitespace block markers
instead of running around assuming everything to be written as intended.