Why I like D

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Dec 5 14:04:51 PST 2008

"bearophile" <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote in message
news:ghbiuu$a81$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky:
>> bearophile:
>> > But the dynamic languages allow you to save time in other ways.
>>
>> I'd argue that most of those time-saving things are things that have
>> absolutely nothing to do with dynamic typing and are perfectly possible
>> with
>> static typing.
>
> I mostly agree, what I wanted to write is "But Python allows me to save
> time in other ways".
> ...but both languages Boo and C#4 show that sometimes duck typing may help
> reduce the 'pressure' coming from a rigid typing system...

I'd agree that optional dynamic typing can, on occasion, be a small time
saver (Though I can personally live without it), but I still find duck
typing to be a bit unsettling. Though I admit, the C++/D style of template
functions does resemble duck typing in a certain way (unless you make heavy
use of template contraints). I guess that makes we wonder if there might be
some merit in going with a more C#-style of function templates (but
naturally, without C#'s problems of lacking IArithmetic and/or operator
contraints).