More phpBB like forum?

Daniel White twinbee42 at skytopia.com
Tue Dec 9 12:25:24 PST 2008

Sean Kelly Wrote:

> I think there must be a generation gap here.  The first thing
> look for is a newsgroup dedicated to a subject.  After that,
> a mailing list.  I have basically no interest in web forums.

I think you may be right. Apparently, there is (or was) a massive
division between the ASP.net forum and the official Microsoft ASP
newsgroup.

In the end, it would seem the primary advantages of newsgroups over
forums are speed and offline reading. As time progresses, I'm
guessing the second problem will be reduced greatly, and the first
problem shouldn't even be an issue, but somehow is.

I know that many phpBB-style forums (including phpBB) feel slothful
to post, refresh and generally navigate. It's almost as though
they're crawling over an encrypted https connection.

There must be forums out there that feel faster than say, phpBB.
But in any case, the advantages that forums in general have over
newsgroups (many of which have been mentioned in this thread)
seem hard to ignore.