More phpBB like forum?

Denis Koroskin 2korden at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 14:53:46 PST 2008

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 01:37:00 +0300, Brad Roberts <braddr at bellevue.puremagic.com> wrote:

> For me, it's not about speed, it's about push vs pull.  A forum that I
> have to actively go to to find out if there's new material is wasteful.
> already go to my mail client to find pushed material.. and it's
> incrementally much easier for me to subscribe to a mailing list than
> anything else.  That's exactly why the first thing I did when joining the
> D community was to setup the nntp <--> mail bridges.  Any use of forums
> by
> me would require an automatic email gateway.
>
> Just my 2 cents,
> Brad

For those of us who read all the messages that enter this newsgroup NNTP is more useful, no one argues this.

But those users who visit digitalmars.D just to know if there are any interesting topics discussed or to ask a question once in a while prefer traditional web-based interface. In fact, these newsgroup have great amount of useful information, but you have to fetch all the messages for doing a search over them by a keyword (my messages cache is about 800Mb!). This is hardly possible for a newcomer. OTOH, any decent forum has a search functionality built-in.

I believe that both should coexist, but a better integration between them is needed for sure.