More phpBB like forum?

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 18:19:40 PST 2008

Walter Bright wrote:
> Chad J wrote:
>> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>>>
>>> And better code formatting, and a reduction in sockpuppetry, and - the
>>> big one for me - remote state.
>>
>> /remote state/
>>
>> YES yes yes.
>>
>> This whole client-side state thingy bothers me quite a bit as well.
>
> Yeah, but if it's all on the server (like reddit, slashdot) there's
> another problem. If you're engaged in an active topic, there's no way to
> quickly scan the page to see if anything new is posted. There's no way
> to tell what you've read and what you haven't.

Most (all?) modern forum software have several viewing options.
Depending on the forum package, you may see things like: unread posts
since last visit, all unread posts, all of your threads which which have
unread posts, all watched threads which have unread posts and so on.
Plus, there is usually a configuration option to email you when watched
threads, or threads you are participating in, get new posts.

Years ago, I followed many newsgroups because that was the only thing we
had. The D newsgroups are the only ones I follow these days, because I
have no choice. It also is the only reason I run Thunderbird (the web
interface sucks), as I check all of my email accounts through GMail. I
would much prefer a good forum software package (I'm a big fan of SMF[1]
which I run on a game guild web site). Greater flexibility, more
features and no extra software required. Newsgroups are so 20th century.