More phpBB like forum?

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 20:30:08 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 10:16 PM, Walter Bright
<newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>>
>> The other problem with the web-news interface is that it's a piece of
>> shit.  It breaks threading, it doesn't obey many RFCs, the interface
>> itself is terrible (as someone, maybe you, mentioned, it doesn't
>> thread entire conversations, only a given number of posts), and it's
>> just broken in some areas.  For example, if you are on any board other
>> than digitalmars.D, clicking replies _does not work_ as it takes you
>> to the "right" message ID on the *wrong board*.
>
> Is there a better one that's free, and has no administration effort?

None that I know of, and from some of the other replies the chances seem slim.

It sounds hackish but perhaps something could be set up through the
mailing lists.  They seem to handle things very nicely and have
archives back to at least the beginning of 2006.  The archives are
also auto-threaded.  I'm sure it wouldn't take long to set up a few
simple pages - or even to modify the mailing list archive viewers - to
allow sending NG messages as well as viewing them.