Java's development cycle

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 22:00:08 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 12:13 AM, Walter Bright
<newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>>
>> Sounds like you're asking for Lisp.  Small number of features with
>> which you can do just about anything.  All using only oatmeal and
>> toenail clippings!   Lua is a bit like that too, except the toenail
>> clippings part.
>
> I know about lisp. My problem with it is the syntax. I just don't like it.

I'll agree with you that "no syntax" seems to be taking syntactic
simplicity a bit too far ;)  But I've also found that with Lisp, a
reasonable (read: C-like) bracketing style goes a long way towards
readability.  I was looking at some of BCS's code that's part of his
BackMath library on dsource and was surprised at how much more
readable the Lisp code was when it didn't stack up every freakin'
right paren at the end of the line, and when it used a "normal"
indentation style.

http://www.dsource.org/projects/scrapple/browser/trunk/backmath/do.lisp

I still prefer different things looking different, though.