More phpBB like forum?

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Wed Dec 10 13:41:32 PST 2008

Kyle Furlong wrote:
> Actually Gregor, the opposite is true. You're implying that anyone
> should have a newsreader by now, but in fact, my generation knows little
> about newsgroups, since by the time we came on the scene the internet
> had passed them by in favor of html based forums.
>
> Do a census of 26-19 year olds, even tech-savvy ones, and you wont find
> a significant portion with the capability or know how to browse newsgroups.

When my dad was in the Air Force during the Vietnam war, they had to
bring a bunch of prop transports back from retirement into service. They
had one the mechanics just couldn't get the engines to run right on.
They studied the manuals, and did everything they could think of, yet
the engines just didn't put out the power they were rated at.

The Air Force finally dug up an old grizzled mechanic out of retirement
to come have a look. He listened to them run for a moment, then fixed
them up promptly. There's a lot of knowledge about those machines that
never made it into the manuals.

Somehow, though, I doubt anyone is going to pay me for my leet skillz at
16 bit DOS programs ever again :-(