More phpBB like forum?

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Wed Dec 10 13:56:50 PST 2008

Reply to Mike,

> Brad Roberts wrote:
>
>> For me, it's not about speed, it's about push vs pull.  A forum that
>> I have to actively go to to find out if there's new material is
>> wasteful.  I
>>
> In my case, it seems wasteful to use a newsreader just to check the D
> ngs. I do everything from my browser except checking these newsgroups.
> I check all of my email accounts through gmail, I visit half a dozen
> programming forums, I check reddit for interesting stuff, and so on.
> If it weren't for these D newsgroups, I'd have no reason to open
> Thunderbird anymore.
>
> In fact, before picking up D I hadn't used a newsgroup reader in years
> and didn't miss it a bit.

How long does that take you? I start two programs opening (TB and my NG reader)
and go chat with my boss at the start of each day. A few minutes later my
computer shows me a list of everything I care about (except the sudo-forum
Stackoverflow) and I can cull through that an a mater of a few minuets overhead.
After that, I basically forget about it till something say I have something
to look at.

Yes having more that one way to get your fix is wasteful but the first one
to go for me is the /web based/ interfaces.