Type system question

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 17:30:39 PST 2008

> So what D has is basically the ability to do type inferences in one
> direction.

To be fair, D can do some other kinds of inference too, as in
selecting template type parameters using IFTI, and inferring which
overload of a function you want based on argument types, and the is()
expression can do some type deduction tricks too.

I'm curious if such strong type inference ideas could improve D.  It's
interesting, but really the example I came up with above has done
little to convice me of the value.  So I'm also hoping, Bearophile,
that you can provide some convincing examples of the power of stronger
type inference.

--bb