Google NativeClient

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Dec 10 21:38:10 PST 2008

"Julio César Carrascal Urquijo" <jcarrascal at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:d8f7d286275b8cb290df068a470 at news.digitalmars.com...
> Hello Jarrett,
>
>> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 5:37 PM, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
>> OT, but it won't.  MS will come up with a proprietary, competing
>> technology that has no open specification, is designed by large
>> corporate interests, has half the features as Google's, is poorly
>> implemented, and it will become the industry standard.  ;)
>>
>> (if it means replacing ActiveX, by gum they'll do it, too.)
>>

> I really don't think Microsoft will support a product competing directly
> with Silverlight. If a plugin for IE gets written it will probably be
> provided by Google too.
>
> Still very interesting for runing high performance applications (video
> encoders and games come to mind) inside the browser without porting them
> to Siverlight or Java Applets. There's lots of native code applications
> that would beneffit from this. Think running slightly modified versions of
> OpenOffice, Gimp, Evolution, Apache or even the whole CoLinux would be
> pretty cool.

I've never been much of a "web as a platform" kind of guy and really don't
see much point in that sort of stuff (as opposed to just using a good
networking library in a normal "real" app or creating a replacement for
HTTP/(X)HTML/CSS/JS/etc that's actually designed for apps in the first place
instead of shoehorning a mediocre *document* standard into an "application
platform"). I just like this because I love the potential for being able to
choose a language that doesn't suck to write client-side web code that
doesn't run at a snail's pace.