More phpBB like forum?

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Thu Dec 11 05:32:03 PST 2008

Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> Sean Kelly wrote:
>>> If there is, I haven't seen it :-)  I try to stay somewhat up on trends
>>> just to be current, but I've yet to see a point in telling people what
>>> I'm doing from minute to minute.
>> The site itself said that one use was to tell people when you're
>> drinking a cup of copy. bleh.
>
> It is up to you to use twitter for something useful - saying there is nothing useful on twitter is like saying there is nothing useful on blogs. Not everyone write blogs about their last cup of tea, and neither do everyone tweet about it. In particular I know that many open source projects use twitter as a way to collect mini-reports from the community, and do mini-reporting themselves aka "just added the l33t feature foo too app bar".

In my workplace they used twitter for an humanitarian project:

http://code.google.com/p/geochat/

---
Geochat emerged from a simple concept - can I send an SMS message and
see it on a map?

 From there the concept has evolved, and geochat has become a project to
build a collaboration platform for the lowest common denominator
communication tools, considering as highest priorities the needs of
workers of humantiarian aid, international health and disaster response.

The main drivers for the project are the feedback of the InSTEDD
programs in South East Asia, excercises such as GoldenShadow, and a
growing community of humanitarian and health workers who spend their
days in technologically austere environments. We invite anyone from any
line of work to use and contribute user experience, technical, and any
other kind of feedback.
---

And this is what Golden Shadow is about:

http://instedd.org/goldenshadow

:-)