Java updates

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Dec 11 09:35:05 PST 2008

Seeing how much D borrows from Java, I think you may be interested in seeing some of the updates of Java:
http://hamletdarcy.blogspot.com/2008/12/java-7-update-from-mark-reinhold-at.html

Some of the most interesting changes:
- Safe rethrow - Allows a broad catch clause, with the compiler being smarter on what you're allowed to rethrow based on what is thrown from the try block. (I had not seen this before but it looks nice) (I don't understand how this can be done).
- Null dereference expressions - Null checks with '?' syntax similar to Groovy... lettign developers avoid a nest of null checks. (This will probably come in D too, sooner or later).
- Compressed pointer 64 bit VM (This is very useful, but I think it's not easy to do in 64-bit-D with pointers. References look more doable).

Bye,
bearophile